Thursday 6 September 2012

Font Ideas - For Masthead

Planning

 

To attract people's attention and effectively when creating newspapers, the font used for the masthead is very important as it gives an initial impression of the newspaper and can even give a feel as to what sort of newspaper the reader can expect. Bold, clear letters allow the title to be easily read and for my newspaper cover I think I'll decide to use black lettering because this is a common feature of many local newspapers, for example 'Brentwood Weekly News' pictured on the right. I also think for my masthead I will use capital letters as I think this looks proffessional and more confident, making people want to read my publication. Similar to 'The Times' front cover, pictured above.

 
 
Here is one example of a style in which I could write my masthead for my newspaper front cover. The letters are easy to read in this example, however I don't believe the letters are thick enough to be clear to read from far away; perhaps effecting people's ability to recognise my newspaper effortlessly. I also this this font style is quite plain, and not in keeping to ordinary conventions of a newspaper masthead. Overall, I do not think I will choose this font for my own newspaper cover, as I think the style would be better suited to maybe either a leaflet or magazine publication.



Here is another example of a potential masthead for my newspaper. I think this one is more effective than the last because the letters are bolder, allowing the masthead to be read more easily from a further distance. Overall, I think this font is more appropriate than the previous one I analysed, and would be more suited for use on a newspaper front page than the last font.
 

I prefer this font to both two previous fonts I have analysed because I think it most resembles the fonts that are commonly seen on newspaper front pages. Perhaps for my own front page I will use a font similar to this but slightly thinner, in order to fit more letters horizontally across my front page. Overall, I think this is the best font for a masthead based on the fonts I have already analysed. When it comes to creating my cover I will look for more styles like this and analyse more before I come to my final decision.

Out of all 4 possible masthead fonts I have analysed I think this one most resembles the conventional newspaper title because the letters are positioned closely together, with contrasting think and thin lines in each letter. I like this font and will also consider using something similar to this when creating my newspaper front page. I may have to do some further research and analysing before I begin to decide which is most appropriate out of this font and the third one I looked at.

1 comment:

  1. What is the name of the last font choice, number 4 for the Masthead?

    ReplyDelete