Wednesday 15 August 2012

Newspaper Double Page Analysis - The Oldham Chronicle



This is an example of a double page taken from a newspaper called The Oldham Chronicle. This isn't a newspaper I aim to focus much of my research on, however thought it would be useful to look at this particular photograph of one of their double pages and note the features I thought were positive, and the features I do not think are effective.

On the right side of this page layout, there are many different advertisements split up into sections, and in my opinion it is difficult to work out which images are supposed to be used for their articles, and which are simply advertising business prospects and evenings out. 

On the left side of this double page layout, the headlines read "Oldham's reasons to be cheerful..." suggesting that all of the adverts and photos dotted around on the page could perhaps be these reasons, but again I don't think the layout is clear enough at all and I don't think the space is used effectively. 


There are also four columns below this main headline giving an introduction to the article which is a common place to locate the introduction on pages like these. In my own work I may single out small bits of space in between two columns like these with small quotes from people featured in the article.

For example like in this image on the left.

By singling out small quotes included in this article, it allows the audience to read the article clearly and it effectively splits up the text to allow attractive looking articles and variations of bold text and different sizes too.

No comments:

Post a Comment