Wednesday 15 August 2012

Double Page Analysis - Sunday Mirror



Here is another example of a newspaper double page spread but this time from The Sunday Mirror. This may not be a 'local' newspaper as such, however I thought that this layout and design was very effective and could be used to base a few of my own ideas on. 

I decided to look at this double page spread because I like the way the thick black lettering used for the headline goes across the entire width of the double page in capital letters: "BUT I DIDN'T KILL MADDIE". (This headline follows on the initial check list of all the reasons why this man was suspected to be the killer of Madeline McCann.) 

I think the layout of this page is very effective because it has all the key generic aspects of a double page appearing in it, including large bold lettering for the headlines, red text used to catch the reader's attention, one main image of the person/topic in question, vertical columns for the article and many more. 

The main colours used on this double page are black, white, red and yellow which suits the content of the article well because it's about a potential killer and red and yellow are colours that are supposed to signify and represent danger. They are also not gender exclusive which, like I've already mentioned, helps not make readers feel intimidated when purchasing the publication. 

In my own work I may decide to use a similar style of layout for the content of the article in small sections of columns surrounding the main image, in order to allow the reader to easily see which bits of text relate to each of the images.

Overall I think this double page spread is really effective and uses many generic newspaper features well in order to use the space effectively, while also attracting their demographic and including all the necessary information and images.

No comments:

Post a Comment