Wednesday 21 November 2012

Ancillary Task 1 - Newspaper Poster - Planning

For my own newspaper poster, I have chosen to base my ideas on this poster for The Sun newspaper which I included in my research: 

Before I began planning my own newspaper poster, I thought about the key elements of design that I would have to keep in mind in the creation of my publication:
 
  • I thought about what style of photography I would be using, and felt it would be important to use an actual photograph of my newspaper itself, instead of using metaphorical photography like some of the other newspapers used in my research, for example The Daily Mail used a high heeled shoe to represent women's interest as a topic in their newspaper.
  •  
  • I also considered whether I would be using colour on my poster, and decided that this would be a good feature to have, in order to attract my target demographic's attention an compete amongst other publication's posters. I also found in my research that most other newspaper posters featured colour on them, allowing me to recognise this as a positive decision for my own work.
  •  
  • Additionally, I thought about whether I was going to feature any text on my newspaper poster. Initially I planned not to include any, but then decided against this idea in order to make my newspaper poster as clear as possible.
 
I have chosen to select this poster (pictured above) to base the creation of my own design on as I think this is an effective use of photography  used to advertise this specific newspaper. This poster makes it easy to decipher what newspaper is being advertised, in this case The Sun. In my own newspaper poster, I will specifically position my newspaper in my model's hand so the masthead can be easily read by my target demographic. 
I will use a colour photograph, because I plan on having either a white or a grey background and I aim to make the hand holding the newspaper stand out over this background.

 

I intend on using Photoshop to edit my image, and use the select tool to cut out the section of my newspaper in the hand, so I can then lay it on either a white background or a grey background. I will test to see which of these look better, and plan on justifying each decision I make in the process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment