Thursday 14 June 2012

Initial Newspaper Research

When given the choice between creating a newspaper project or alternatively a music video project for our A2 Media tasks I decided that creating a newspaper would much better suit me for the year as it would allow me to further develop my skills in photoshop and InDesign and I had more confidence and ideas in a more print based topic. I also felt that my work from my AS Magazine project would help me to generate ideas and designs for more print work, and I was interested to add more of this type of work into my portfolio. Through personal interests of my own, I felt that I could develop my own personal understanding of newspaper layout throughout this A2 year and would easily find interest in the research we would be encouraged to do in our own spare time. 

To find inspiration when creating my final publication, I have chosen to focus mainly on local newspapers based in the South West or around Bristol. I am aiming to discover how these newspapers present their articles on the cover and on their second pages, and also their photographs and adverts in an appealing way which also effectively attracts their demographic. I am also interested to find out how their articles are written, and what styles they use to target their audience. By learning and researching what sorts of articles and generic features are to be expected in these types of local newspapers, my own skills will hopefully reflect this successfully. 

One local newspaper I have decided to research into is The Bristol Evening Post, now referred to as simply; The Post. I think the style of this paper would be a good one to base many of my ideas from, and will give good inspiration for the layout of my own newspaper publication I aim to create.


Bristol Evening Post - Research 

The Bristol Evening Post is a tabloid newspaper sold from Mondays to Saturdays in the city of Bristol, northern Somerset and southern Gloucestershire.
It was founded in 1932, and in spite of it's name it's not really a newspaper as such; the three-star (final) edition comes out at noon! (There are two editions; the other one is the two-star edition.)


Further Research: The Evening Post

I decided to look at The Evening Post and some common features of this newspaper in particular, to build up a better understanding of some of the features which make a newspaper successful, in order to help me when creating my local newspaper at a later date. 

What areas does The Evening Post reach: Bristol, Greater Bristol, North Somerset, Weston, Bath and South Gloucestershire.
Produced: Overnight
Circulation: 39,900+
Price: 38p - Monday to Friday  
45p - Saturday



No comments:

Post a Comment